Turmeric is a spice native to South Asian countries. Turmeric is the root of a plant known as curcuma longa. In India turmeric is called as ‘Haldi” and it is extensively used in day-to-day cooking. Turmeric belongs to the family of ginger which falls under the rhizomes category. The root of the turmeric plant is dried and powdered before it is sold in the markets. Turmeric powder has a rich orange-yellow colour and it is a bit bitter in taste. It contains a compound known as curcumin which gives it a typical mustardy smell. Turmeric is primarily used as a spice but it is also utilized as a colouring agent in mustard condiments.
Since ancient times, turmeric has been a part of Indian traditions and culture. Turmeric is also a part of several religious rituals in India. In traditional Indian medicine turmeric has countless uses. Primarily, it is used as an anti-inflammatory drug. Turmeric is a basic ingredient of several cosmetic products like skin creams, soaps and oils. The Curcumin content of turmeric helps in treating different types of diseases like diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease and allergies. Thus turmeric is also used in various medicinal preparations in India. Owing to its extensive use, the plant is also known as ‘the Indian saffron’.
Uses of Turmeric
Turmeric has several cosmetic and non-cosmetic uses. It is primarily used to get a beautiful skin. Some of its special benefits are mentioned below:
Turmeric has strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties which help in curing acne and pimples. It also helps in removing the scars and marks left by acne and pimples. Turmeric can also be used to reduce the oily nature of the skin. Mix turmeric with sandalwood powder and lemon juice in order to make a perfect face pack. Apply this mixture on your face and let it stay for 10 minutes. Wash your face with warm water to get relief from acne. For removing scars you can directly apply turmeric paste over the scars.
Treatment for Oily Skin
For oily skin you can prepare a face pack using a pinch of turmeric, sandalwood (1 ½ tablespoon) and orange juice (3 tablespoon). Apple this mixture on your face and let it remain for 15 minutes. Then clean your skin with warm water to get a soft and oil-free skin.
Treatment for Dry Skin
For dry skin you can prepare a face pack using a pinch of turmeric, an egg white, lemon juice, olive oil (2 drops), and rose water. Apply this mixture on your face and allow the skin to absorb it. After some time rinse off with lukewarm water.
Turmeric can help you in reducing wrinkles and fine lines. Create a natural face pack by mixing turmeric with raw milk, powdered rice and tomato juice. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash off with warm water. This treatment can help you in reducing wrinkles. A mixture of turmeric and buttermilk can help you in reducing dark circles as well as wrinkles. Apply this mixture for 20 minutes and wash off with cold water.
Reducing Aging Signs
Turmeric helps in reducing the signs of aging. Turmeric is an exfoliating agent and it helps in renewing the skin. Make a mixture of turmeric and gram flour using water, raw milk or yoghurt. Apply it on your skin and let it stay for 20 minutes. Wash off with warm water and scrub your skin to remove all the dead cells.
Reducing Stretch Marks:
Turmeric can reduce the intensity of stretch marks. Make a mixture of turmeric and gram flour using raw milk or yoghurt. Apply it over your stretch marks.
A mixture of Aloe Vera gel and turmeric can help you in healing wounds caused by burns.
Reduce Skin Tanning And Pigmentation:
Turmeric can help in reducing pigmentation and tanning of skin. Make a mixture of turmeric, cucumber juice or lemon juice and apply it over your skin. Let it stay for 30 minutes before rinsing off with water. Follow this routine regularly in order to get the desired results.
Removing Facial Hair:
Make a mixture of kasturi turmeric and gram flour. Apply this paste over your skin on a regular basis. Follow this for 3 to 4 weeks in order get the desired results.
Healing Cracked Heels:
Make a mixture of turmeric powder and coconut oil. Apply this mixture on your heels. Let it remain for 15 minutes and then wash off. Instead of coconut oil you can also use castor oil. Follow this regularly in order to heal your cracked heels.
Make an overnight face pack using a mixture of turmeric and yoghurt or milk. Apply this every night and wash it off in the morning. You can also mix turmeric to your moisturizer and apply it every night. This will give you a soft and beautiful skin.
Treating Skin Ailments
Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Hence, it is used to treat skin ailments like eczema, poison ivy and psoriasis. Eczema is a painful disease that causes itchiness and scaly skin. In order to reduce the inflammation and itchiness, you can apply a combination of kasturi turmeric and milk.
Make a mixture of turmeric and gram flour and apply it on your skin. You can apply this on your body and gently scrub your skin in order to remove all the dead cells and impurities. For your face you can make a pack using milk and turmeric. You can also apply this on your lips to heal dried and chapped lips.
Treatment for Hair
Turmeric can improve the quality of your hair and help you in reducing hair fall. Some of the benefits of turmeric in treating hair conditions are listed below.
Apply a mixture of olive oil and turmeric on your scalp and let it remain for 15 minutes. Rinse your hair using a mild shampoo. This would cleanse all the traces of dandruff and improve the blood circulation in your scalp and make your hair more healthy and strong.
Reduces Hair Fall:
Hair loss is a common issue that occurs due to a wide range of reasons like stress and poor diet. Turmeric can help you in reducing hair fall. Turmeric contains an active ingredient known as curcumin which helps in killing TGF beta one or agent beta one that causes hair fall. Make a mixture of turmeric, milk and honey and apply it on your scalp. This would help you in reducing your hair loss.
Natural Hair Dye:
Turmeric can be used as a natural dye. Boil turmeric along with substances like saffron, chamomile tea and calendula. Wash your hair with this water and rinse off after 20 minutes.
Treating Scalp Disorders:
Turmeric contains curcumin which acts as an antifungal, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial and antiseptic agent. Turmeric can be used to treat scalp disorders like dermatitis, Cicatricial alopecia and eczema.
Health Benefits of Turmeric:
- The curcumin in turmeric helps in preventing childhood leukemia and cancer.
- Turmeric has a detoxifying effect on your liver. Thus it helps in preventing cirrhosis, hepatitis and jaundice.
- Turmeric helps in weight management by promoting fat metabolism. It also helps in treating indigestion and bloating.
- Turmeric can help in reducing menstrual cramps. Take a juice of turmeric extracts two times daily for 2 weeks before the beginning of menstrual cycles.
- Turmeric can be used for healing all sorts of wounds and injuries. It acts as a strong anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiseptic agent.
- It contains lots of antioxidants that kill free radicals in our body. This in turn promotes better immunity and prevents the risk of diseases.
- Turmeric acts as an anti-inflammatory agent that reduces the risk of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Turmeric supplements can reduce joint pains.
- Turmeric helps in reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Turmeric acts as a strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that prevents brain inflation which leads to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Turmeric controls the homo-cysteine levels which in turn help in reducing cholesterol.
- Turmeric can promote insulin secretion and this in turn helps you in controlling your diabetes.
How to Preserve Turmeric?
You should buy good quality turmeric from your local spice market. Always buy organic turmeric which is free from additives. It is important to avoid adulterated turmeric. When you are buying turmeric powder, make sure that it is pure and not mixed with other ingredients. Turmeric is also used as a coloring agent in several industries. Powdered turmeric should be stored in a cool place and should be kept away from sunlight. Do not store it in a damp or hot place. This can reduce its effectiveness. Exposure to sunlight can make the turmeric paler in color. Always store turmeric in an air-tight container.
How to Use Turmeric While Cooking
Turmeric can add flavor, color and aroma to your food. It can be added to a wide range of curries in the form of a spice. Listed below are few ideas on how you can use turmeric.
- Turmeric has several medicinal values and it can be eaten in its raw form. Clean the turmeric root with warm water and then peel off its skin. Turmeric might taste a bit bitter but it is effective in treating a wide range of diseases.
- You can add powdered turmeric to salad in order to give them a rich yellow color. You can also chop turmeric root and add its slices to your salad.
- You can add turmeric as a seasoning spice to different types of rice preparations. You can also add coriander and cumin to increase the taste.
- You can add slices of turmeric root to sandwiches. This will add more freshness to your sandwich.
- Mix some turmeric with mayonnaise, dried onion, pepper and salt. You can use this mixture as a dip for vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli florets and celery.
- You can use turmeric powder on steamed cauliflower, sauteed apples, onions and green beans. You can also use turmeric as a spice while preparing different cuisines containing lentils.
- You can also add chopped turmeric or turmeric powder to soups.
- You can cook cauliflower along with turmeric to prepare a nourishing side dish. Saute cauliflower pieces with turmeric. Add olive oil, pepper and salt to this mixture. Heat for some time to get a delicious cauliflower preparation.
- You can add turmeric to smoothies made from vegetables and fresh fruits.
Are you concerned about your oily skin? Are you looking for a natural remedy to remove scars and blemishes from your skin? If you are searching for a home remedy to treat all your skin disorders, try some of the above mentioned solutions. Turmeric is a basic ingredient of several natural medicines and skincare products. Turmeric is also beneficial for your health and fitness. Applying a face pack made from turmeric can definitely improve your skin tone and make your skin look youthful. Turmeric also helps in reducing aging signs.